Garden celebrities at Garden Walk Buffalo


Yup, that's Roger Swain, otherwise known as "the man in the red suspenders" former host of PBS's the Victory Garden (mid-1980s-2001); host on the former HGTV show, People Places Plants; book author; and former writer/science editor for Horticulture Magazine.

Hanging on his arm, and every word, is "Sustainable Susan" Harris, otherwise known as "the woman in the Bob Marley t-shirt," of Garden Rant/Sustainable Gardening Blog. Both were in Buffalo this past July for Garden Walk Buffalo.

Among these nationally-known gardeners, we were fortunate to host some well-known local and regional garden experts. Terry Ettinger, WSYR radio host of the Weeder's Journal; Time-Warner television host of Garden Journeys; and newspaper columnist from Central New York (shown right in the Gardening While Intoxicated garden) was here the second year in a row. It's difficult to keep him away. He has said of Garden Walk Buffalo, "“...congratulations on what I think has to be considered as one of the most outstanding horticultural weekends in all of North America!” Except when he said it, he used more exclamation points.

Buffalo's own garden guru, Sally Cunningham, author of Great Garden Companions; Buffalo News garden columnist; CBS affiliate WIVB's weekend garden host; and local radio host was see out and about in many gardens looking for story ideas. Here she is with her hand over her drink, obviously protecting it from being drunk by Elizabeth of Gardening While Intoxicated / Garden Rant.

We're hoping you can make it here this coming July (25 & 26) to attend the largest garden tour in the U.S. – more than 300 urban gardens. I tell you this now so you can plan early - hotels in the Garden Walk area do fill up quickly. If you can make it, please contact either myself or Elizabeth.

Comments

  1. You are hysterical. I wish I could come but NC needs me badly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. flowergardengirl,
    But Buffalo needs you more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buffalo in July... sounds cooler than North Carolina in July. However, my deer resistant garden PEAKS in July. You do tempt me with your Garden Walk promises!

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not often that I can tempt a woman (I'm told). There will be 45,000-50,000 like minded gardeners strolling about, fighting back the temptation to pick weeds in more than 300 gardens.

    If you do make it, I can guarantee a drink with Elizabeth of Gardening While Intoxicated. Although I cannot guarantee that you'll have a chance to garden while intoxicated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great weekend. I miss the Old Victory Garden with Roger and his folks. I was able to tape many of the shows, and when the weather gets bad, I just pop them into the VCR. I hardly ever watch the New Victory Garden. Just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts